Check if you need to pay towards your healthcare in the UK

If you're applying for a UK visa you may need to pay a charge for healthcare services, called the 'immigration health surcharge (IHS)'.

You don’t need to continue if you’re applying for a visitor visa, or indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

Use this service to:

  • check if you need to pay the surcharge
  • pay the surcharge if it applies to you
  • get an IHS reference number for your visa application - you'll need this even if you don't have to pay

You'll need:

  • an email address
  • your passport, travel document or biometric residence permit
  • your payment card

You'll need to register first.

You may be exempt from paying this healthcare surcharge, but you still need an IHS reference number.